Homebuyer Tax Credit Program
The Home Start Homebuyer Tax Credit Program makes homeownership more affordable for first-time homebuyers. To qualify, eligible homebuyers must receive a Mortgage Credit Certificate (MCC) from New Hampshire Housing. The Homebuyer Tax Credit can decrease the income taxes you owe and boost your take-home pay, which helps you qualify for a mortgage and make your mortgage payments. The Homebuyer Tax Credit is not a one-time credit. It is an annual tax credit of up to $2000 each year for the life of the original mortgage, as long as you live in the home.
To qualify for the Homebuyer Tax Credit you must:
- Be a first-time homebuyer (have not owned a home in three years) or are purchasing a home in a "targeted area."
- Be qualified for a new mortgage. MCCs cannot be used with existing loans.
- Intend to occupy the home as your principal residence.
- Be purchasing a house that is a single-family residence and that meets certain purchase price limits.
- Meet certain income limits.
- Complete the online Home Start Homebuyer Tax Credit training.
To find out more about the Home Start Homebuyer Tax Credit Program, check out our Program Brochure and Fact Sheet. Please note: There are fees associated with this program.
To apply for the Homebuyer Tax Credit, contact one of the Participating MCC Lenders listed below. Lenders without the "check mark" under MCC Lender are only able to provide the underlying mortgage. You must work with a Participating MCC Lender or New Hampshire Housing to receive the Homebuyer Tax Credit.
|Connecticut River Bank||1-603-826-7764|
|Federal Savings Bank||1-800-462-2265|
|Merrimack Mortgage Company, Inc.||1-800-877-8686|
|Mortgage Master, Inc.||1-603-627-1141|
|Mortgage Network, Inc.||1-800-334-4648|
|New Hampshire Community Loan Fund, Inc.||1-800-432-4110|
|New Hampshire Housing||1-800-640-7239|
|Regency Mortgage Corporation||1-603-669-5626|
|Residential Mortgage Services||1-603-647-6644|
|Schaefer Mortgage Corporation||1-603-434-4747|
|Wells Fargo Home Mortgage, Inc.||1-603-626-6222|